The need for logistics marketplace apps has been on the rise for quite a while now. The need has especially increased since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. Post pandemic, many small businesses have come up, and the demand for an easy-to-use, cost-effective logistics app that offers same-day delivery has also increased.
Porter is one such popular logistics marketplace app that offers an easy way to transport goods for personal, business, and industrial purposes. Be it house shifting, delivery for your eCommerce business, or any industrial deliveries – everything can be done hassle-free using a logistics marketplace app like Porter.
Developing a logistics marketplace app similar to Porter may be one of the best business ideas to begin now. With a robust backend and user-friendly UI, your app can definitely become one of the front runners in the logistics industry.
If you’ve been wondering about how much it would cost to develop a logistics marketplace app like Porter, then this brief guide will definitely help you with that. Let’s discuss some of the key features needed to develop an app like Porter and how much it would cost to do so.
What is a Logistics Marketplace App?
A logistics marketplace app typically takes care of all kinds of logistics and freight deliveries. These may be intracity, intercity, or even interstate deliveries. Here’s what a logistics marketplace app offers:
- Business deliveries such as eCommerce fulfillment service.
- Industrial deliveries
- Shifting house, furniture, room, office spaces, etc.
- Any other courier, parcel, or package deliveries.
Based on the type and volume of your package or shipment, you can pick from a variety of transportation vehicles ranging from bikes, small tempos to pickup trucks. It also offers features like live order tracking, multi-stop solutions, and same-day deliveries.
Key Features Offered by Porter App
If you want to develop a logistics marketplace app like Porter, it is important to understand the app’s important features. Your app, too, should ideally consist of these features.
For offering logistics marketplace services like Porter, you would need to develop different sets of features for mainly three types of end-users – User, Driver, and Admin.
- Sign up and alter profile – Users should be able to sign up to the logistics marketplace app through a set of simple steps. They should also be able to make changes to their profile details such as name, picture, address, contact number, payment details, etc.
- Set location for pick up and drop off – Users should be able to set the locations for pick up and drop off of the goods. The app must also allow users to select the type of vehicle and add any special conditions or constraints for the goods.
- Receive notifications – Users should be able to receive prompt notifications for any important updates such as pickup of goods, drop off of goods, etc.
- Live order tracking – It is also important to offer live order tracking as a part of a logistics marketplace app. Users would want to know the exact location and ETA of their goods.
- Make online payments – Users should be able to make payments through the app. Hence, it is necessary to provide integrations with a payment gateway provider. Users should also alter their payment modes and add new payment methods.
- Set reviews and ratings – Reviews and ratings are an important part of the logistics management process. With the help of the app, users must be able to provide reviews and ratings to the service as well as the driver.
- Technical or chat support – Users might need technical support or support related to any other general queries. For this purpose, integrating live chat support or chatbots will be a good idea.
- Generate advanced reports – Some premium users such as eCommerce or any other small business owners may also want to generate daily/weekly/monthly reports as a part of their logistics management. Hence, generating reports and analytics is also an important feature to be offered to users.
- Check history – Users should be able to check their previous order requests and their status.
- Setup profile – Just like users, drivers should be able to sign up, set up their profile, and make alterations to details such as name, contact information, address, picture, vehicle, etc.
- Accept, reject, and cancel orders – Whenever a driver receives an order request, the driver must be able to accept or reject it. There should also be a provision for canceling the orders.
- Receive payments and view earnings – Drivers should be able to receive timely payments and view their previous earnings.
- Set availability – Drivers must be able to set their availability to receive requests only when they are available.
- Receive notifications – Drivers should also receive notifications regarding important updates such as incoming requests, request location, receipt of earnings, etc.
- View reports and analytics – Drivers may also want to get a view of their monthly orders, and hence offering reports and analytics may be a good idea.
- Chat support – Drivers may also need technical and chat support regarding any difficulties or queries they may have with the admin.
- Manage customers – Admins must be able to track and manage all information related to users’ accounts. This includes information about different requests, payments, reviews, ratings, etc.
- Manage drivers – It is also important for admins to manage drivers who are both available and off-duty. Admin should be able to view information about the orders received by various drivers and their reviews/ratings. Admins should also be able to add, remove, delete, and block different drivers.
- Manage requests – Admin should be able to manage any incoming requests and take care of any pending requests that go unassigned.
- Manage payments and commissions – Admin must be able to manage the payments received from different users and the commissions that must be paid to different drivers.
- Reporting and analytics – It is crucial that the admin has access to the analytics dashboard and the ability to generate reports related to users and drivers.
- Manage vehicles – Admin should also be given the ability to manage different vehicles that are available for transportation of goods.
- Manage fuel usage – Confirming fuel usage for vehicles is another feature that is needed as a part of the admin’s app.
Technology Stack Required in Developing a Logistics Marketplace App Like Porter
- Fabric iOS
- Google Analytics
- Google API
- Google Search Console
- Mean Stack
- Swift iOS
How Much Would it Cost to Develop a Logistics Marketplace App Like Porter?
Based on our key findings, developing a logistics marketplace app complete with features similar to Porter may require anywhere between $20,000 to $30,000, including both Android and iOS versions of the app. This cost includes estimates for developing all the key features for the app while keeping the latest industry standards.